Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Packing Heat in Changwon

            On Saturday the weather outside was perfect for going to the shooting range. Min Gu and Jongil picked me up at the hotel and we drove to the Changwon Firing range where we met up with their boss, Sung-Keun Kang (Mr. Kang) and his two kids. His son, Jeng Ug Kang, is a high school student and his daughter, Da Hyun Kang, is in middle school. As excited as I was to shoot some clay pigeons, it was just as much fun meeting another Korean family.
            We all decided to shoot clay pigeons and paid W22,000 each for a rental 12 gage shotgun, 25 shells, and 25 clay pigeons. Due to the weight of the gun for a young girl, Da Hyun shot an impressive ten rounds before the men all stepped up to the range to shoot our 25. All lined up at the same time there were orange discs flying in front of us nonstop for a good five minutes. Out of the 25 shots, Jongil was in first place with 17 hits, I finished second with 14, and the rest of the crew came in under 8.

Da Hyun shooting her targets

About an hour after taking this picture I was ready to ice my shoulder

The rental shotgun

We made a mess

The shooting gang
            After shooting we went to the neighboring college, Changwon National University, for some food and drink at the pub. The pub was outdoors on a hill and was more like a campground than a bar. The older Koreans ordered a range of food while I talked with Da Hyun and Jeng Ug as they spoke English perfectly. As usual, we had way too much food and by the time the afternoon came to an end I was full and ready for a nap. Getting to go to the range was on my list for a long time and luckily I was able to squeeze it in during my last days in Korea.

Fried kimchi and tofu

Spicy pork and vegetables

Meel Myen (Spicy, cold, thin spaghetti soup)


No comments:

Post a Comment